COVID-19 vaccine is stored at -80 degrees Celsius on Dec. 18, 2020, in the pharmacy at Roseland Community Hospital in Chicago. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)
TOPEKA — The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has planned vaccine and testing clinics in eight counties for October as part of the agency’s efforts to combat the spread of the delta variant of COVID-19.
The agency has reported 494 deaths from the virus in September, after reporting 481 deaths in the previous three months combined. The free, safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines are available for residents ages 12 and older, but just 60.7% of eligible Kansans are fully vaccinated. The virus has killed 6,051 Kansans since the start of the pandemic.
Some of the upcoming clinics will offer testing while others provide shots. Several will make the Pfizer vaccine available for those who want a third dose because they are immunocompromised or work in a high-risk setting.
The delta variant is more than twice as contagious as previous strains of COVID-19, and poses the most serious risk for Kansans who are not vaccinated. The vaccines reduce the risk of severe disease and death.
Clinics are planned at the following locations:
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Oct. 27, testing, El Dorado YMCA, 300 N. Main St, El Dorado
- 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 1, testing, Lyon County History Center, 711 Commercial St, Emporia
- 4 to 8 p.m. Oct. 7, Pfizer and Moderna, ESU Student Recreation Center, 1800 Morse Rd, Emporia
- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 8 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 9, vaccines TBD, 101 E Grant St., Lindsborg
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesdays through Oct. 27, testing, 519 Lincoln Ave, Wamego
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 5 and 7, testing, Manhattan Mall, 100 Manhattan Town Center, Manhattan
- 7 to 9 a.m. Oct. 1, vaccines TBD, 939 N Main Street, Wichita
- 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 2, Pfizer, South Hillside Lord’s Diner, 2825 S Hillside St, Wichita
- 7 to 9 a.m. Oct. 15, vaccines TBD, 939 N Main Street, Wichita
- Noon to 3 p.m. Oct. 2, testing, 154 N Topeka Street, Wichita
- Hours TBD Oct. 23-24, vaccines TBD, Cristo Vive Church, 1620 W 21st St, Wichita
- Hours TBD Oct. 23-24, Pfizer, Old Town Square, E 2nd St N, Wichita
- 1 to 5 p.m. Oct. 4, Pfizer and Moderna, DCF Topeka Service Center, 500 SW Van Buren St, Topeka
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 5, Pfizer and Moderna, DCF Topeka Service Center, 500 SW Van Buren St, Topeka
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 5, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, Oakland New Life Church, 1020 NE Forest Ave, Topeka
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 12, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, Grace Point Church, 5400 SW Huntoon St, Topeka
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 19, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, St John Ame Church, 701 SW Topeka Blvd, Topeka
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 26, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, 601 NW Harrison St, Topeka
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. through Oct. 18, Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson, Cross-Lines, 736 Shawnee Ave, Kansas City, Kan.
- 3 to 6 p.m. Oct. 2, Pfizer, Fall Festival Common Ground, 4105 Gibbs Rd, Kansas City, Kan.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.