Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin disclosed Tuesday an executive order blocking evictions for the rest of the year. (April 29, 2020, White House photo by Andrea Hanks)
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration announced on Tuesday it would temporarily halt residential evictions to curb the spread of COVID-19 infections.
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin disclosed during a congressional hearing that the executive order would be issued. It runs through Dec. 31.
“I think you’ll be quite pleased with the impact that it will have,” Mnuchin told Rep. Maxine Waters, a California Democrat who sits on the panel.
The order estimates that 30 to 40 million renters are at risk of eviction. It says “a wave of evictions on that scale would be unprecedented in modern times.”
The halt was issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an agency of the Department of Health and Human Services.
It does not relieve people of obligations to pay rent or preclude the collection of fees, penalties or interest as the result of the failure to pay rent or make timely housing payments.
Congress passed a ban on evictions earlier this year, but it expired at the end of July.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.